Braces For All
Pacific Dental Center does orthodontics in Encinitas, California. Orthodontics uses many different methods, but what most people don’t know is that orthodontics isn’t just for straightening teeth. Many different mouth abnormalities and problems can be fixed whether cosmetic or not. Orthodontics can treat:
- Crowding, misplaced, and protruding teeth
- Jaw problems
- Speech difficulties
- Grinding and Clenching teeth
The Different Types of Braces That Are Available Are:
- Traditional Braces – When someone says the term “braces” this is what most people think of. Metal brackets with a metal wire, and different colored elastic ties the patient can choose. These braces are the least expensive but are very noticeable. Technology has progressed making traditional braces much less bulky than what adults may remember having.
- Ceramic Braces – These are the same shape and size as traditional braces but are made of ceramic for clear or tooth colored brackets. The ceramic brackets make the braces look less noticeable, and even have a tooth colored wire to be even more discreet. Ceramic braces are more expensive than traditional braces, and need the same maintenance.
- Lingual Braces – No elastic ties. The braces are on the inside of the mouth making them invisible from the front. These are a more expensive option because of the “no-show” brackets, but can be more difficult to clean and maintain. Also dental visits will take longer to adjust.
- Invisalign – These are clear aligners worn all day and removed during meals. A set of aligners is worn approximately 2 ½ weeks and then a new set is worn for 2 1/1 weeks and so on. This is done for approximately 12-18 months depending on the individual’s needs. This avoids having to wear any brackets, wires on your teeth. People find Invisalign much more comfortable than conventional braces and more compliant. After treatment a retainer much like the Invisalign aligners will be used.
For adults and teens that would like their smile to be straight, Invisalign is also an “invisible” option. For extreme or uncommon abnormalities Invisalign won’t work. Dr. Snow will suggest the best orthodontic treatment for each individual based on their oral situation.
What To Expect With Braces
After having braces fitted, your teeth with hurt – there is no getting around it. Over the counter pain medication should easily treat the pain and Dr. Snow will give you the best tricks-and-tips ensuring your discomfort is to a minimum.
Once your smile has transformed and your teeth are lined, your braces will then be removed. After having your braces removed Dr. Snow will fit your mouth with a retainer that will keep your teeth from moving back and misaligning. The retainer is prescribed to wear for a period of time then best practice is to wear the retainer at night.
Visit our dental office and schedule an Encinitas orthodontist appointment If you want to fix oral abnormalities or you want a straighter smile. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Snow today to determine which dental treatment plan will work best for you!